Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Adventures of Vegetables: Brussel Sprouts.



So, I have decided that I want to explore cooking new veggies. My staples are asparagus and broccoli but I want to branch out more. I recently tried brussel sprouts for the first time and despite their bad rep as a scary and despised veggie, I actually liked them.

On my last trip to the grocery store I was intrigued so I bought some with the plan of looking up a recipe online. I actually didn't have to go that far and was recommended a way to cook them by my boss at work. I made them for dinner tonight and ate them alongside some risotto that I made (it's from a box, I'm not that good... yet).

Cooking the brussel sprouts isn't really a recipe but just a method so the amounts and the actual ingredients don't really matter. However, what I used was...

- brussel sprouts
- almonds
- olive oil
- butter

I started by cutting the white, stemmy end of the brussel sprout off and unwrapping the outermost layers of the brussel sprout and throwing it away. My boss advised me to clean them well and remove the outermost part because they can taste bad otherwise. I wasn't sure exactly how much to take off but I thought of it as a mini head of iceberg lettuce, and pulled off the first layer.

Then, I steamed the brussel sprouts for about 7-8 minutes using my flexible steaming basket thingy (don't know the actual term for it, but it is essential)... I figured out when they were done by pulling one out and cutting through the sprout. I tested a couple times and when I was able to cut through them easily, I decided they were done (I have no idea if this is an advisable method or not, but it worked for me).


In a frying pan, I heated a little oil and tossed in some chopped almonds. I was told to use almond slivers, but I adjusted that based on what we had in the apartment. I added so
me butter to the oil and just let that warm together and the almonds brown a bit. When the brussel sprouts were steamed, I cut the big ones in half and tossed it all in the butter/oil/almond mix. Voila!

My delicious meal, eaten by candlelight with a glass of wine and my Twilight book. Perfection.


It was quite delicious, I must say.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Can you come cook for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta try them with bacon:

    - Cut the bacon up into small pieces and render it in a large sautee pan with an oven safe handle.

    - Prep the sprouts by quartering them

    - When the bacon's released its fat and started to crisp a little bit, add the sprouts and turn them over with the bacon (you might have to add a little olive oil) for a minute or two. The sprouts should pick up a little bit of color. A little salt and pepper wouldn't hurt.

    - Pop the whole thing in the oven at 350 for a few more minutes until the sprouts have cooked a little more, but are still firm.

    ReplyDelete