Friday, August 24, 2018

31 Things That Happened in my 31st Year

Well, today is my birthday and I turn the ripe old age of 32! As far as birthdays go, 32 isn't too exciting. It is not any sort of milestone, I am not aging up, I'm just marking another year forward. My thoughts about my birthday seem to change every year, just as I do as a person. This year, my birthday brought with it some feelings of sadness, but also overall happiness and sense of peace with my life. Life is good. I have wonderful people in my life, hobbies and passions that excite me, a job that challenges me, and opportunities to learn every single day.

To celebrate my birthday today, I decided to put together a little list of 31 things that happened in my 31st year. They were things that marked this year as special and unique for me and I had fun putting this together!

#1 - I traveled to 1 new country this year, checking Poland off my list. I explored a bit on my own, learned more about the history, and got to drink some Polish vodka and try local food with some coworkers who were kind enough to show me the town.

#2 - I traveled outside of the U.S. to a number of that weren't necessarily brand new countries, but still amazing experiences. I went back to Mexico, to Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, and most recently, to Canada and an entirely new part of Canada in B.C.

#3 - I cooked my first whole bird - a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner!! Roasting a whole chicken was something that was on my "30 things to do before turning 30" list that I never got to. And this year, being my 3rd year hosting Thanksgiving dinner for my friends, I decided to take on the challenge and roast the turkey myself (in other years I bought turkey from Honey Baked.) I was SO nervous about it, made my friend Janet come over extra early to help, followed the NY Times instructions word for word, and I have to say - it was a really fun experience and I was so glad with how it came out!


#4 - I marched in the Atlanta Pride Parade! This was something that I always wanted to do. Although I have attended Pride festivals and attended parades in the past, I never actually participated in it. This year, GE had a group marching in the parade and I was happy to be able to represent as an ally and show up for support. It was a really fun (and sweaty) day with a lot of emotions for me to be a part of it.


#5 - I exceeded my expectations and ran faster than I thought possible at the Berlin Marathon. That race may just have been the race of my life. It was so well executed on my part. So fun. And I will never forget the feeling of crossing that line and seeing my time. Everything about that race was a dream for me. From the actually getting in to Berlin itself, to how well training went, to the day of... it was a perfect marathon experience and I learned so much about what I am capable of.

#6 - I started dating Jonathan. I don't like to talk about my dating life too much on the blog, but I will just say that I started dating someone that for the first time I WANT to talk about here. It has definitely been a memorable part of my 31st year!


#7 - I lost two grandparents. Growing up can be really, really hard sometimes. And this fact of life that people age and eventually leave us on this earth is one that I am still trying to figure out how to deal with. I wrote about the loss of my grandmother, but what I never mentioned was that also in March my father's father passed away as well. I have been so lucky to have grandparents in my life for so long and I appreciate that, but it is also so hard for me to accept that I only have one grandparent left.

#8 - I chased a big goal. At the age of 31, I allowed myself to dream big. I set a huge, scary, hard to vocalize goal for myself and I went after it. Hard. I gave training for a BQ everything I had and I am really proud of myself for pushing through what was definitely the hardest mental and emotional training cycle I have ever gone through.

#9 - I failed. And I don't mean that to be negative and down on myself. But I didn't reach that big goal. And that's okay and that was a learning experience for me. Year after year I had been crushing goals I set for myself and it is a part of life to miss sometimes. I was due for it and I have grown from it. You only have the opportunity to fail if you are reaching for something that is hard. Which is what this was for me.

#10 - I added something new to my race/endurance bucket list as I have started to become introduced to, learn more about, become interested in ultramarathons. I definitely think it is something I have on a "someday" list for myself. It is not a coincidence that learning about ultras came at the same time as number 6 on my list :)

#11 - I paid off my student loans! Praise be. I have been working years to pay these down and just before my birthday I made my last payment. While I am fortunate (and thankful) that my loans have not been so much of a burden as many others I know, I am still so happy to have this done with.

#12 - For the first times, I ate at The Varsity in Atlanta, I ate at Chic-Fil-A, AND tried Waffle House! These all may have a bit to do with number 6 as well, or me just becoming more of a Southerner, but I somehow had managed to avoid all of them in my first 3 years in Atlanta. Waffle House was fun for the idea of it, The Varsity's onion rings are unreal, and Chic Fil A I still have mixed feelings on. The food is good for sure, but I try to avoid fast food and this still falls under the fast food category for me. And I really feel conflicted with some of the things that their CEO supports. I made a personal pledge to donate money to GLBTA groups every time I ate there ($20/visit) and so far I have made $100 in donations!

#13 - I fell in love with and saw Hamilton!!! It was soooo good!!!

#14 - I signed up for and started training for my first Ironman. You didn't think I was going to leave this off my list, did you?!?

#15 - I was able to build my relationship more with my niece and nephews as they have gotten older, more interactive, and easier to do things like FaceTime. Jack and Bridgie are coming up on 4 and Tommy is coming up on 2 (but he is also a baby genius and the most smartest 2 year old on the planet.) I love that I can talk to them on FaceTime and have a full conversation, they remember things we did together and are learning me more, even from afar - which makes being an aunt so much fun. I just love them so much!

#16 - I went to the REAL Oktoberfest in Germany!! Ever since I first traveled to Munich (or maybe it was the first time I had beer...) I have had it on my bucket list to attend Oktoberfest in Germany. This year following the Berlin Marathon, I did, wearing lederhosen and all. It was uhhh-mazing and such a fun, cool experience. Bucket list item checked!


#17 - Made pasta from scratch! Another item missed on my 30 before 30 list, but Brick and I got it done this year. I need to find more time and energy to do this regularly (okay, for list, special occasions maybe) because it was such a sense of accomplishment and so yummy!

#18 - Experienced some of the joys of owning a dog. Okay, so this one DEFINITELY correlates with number 6. Because with spending time with Jonathan, has come spending time with his dog, Brooks. I have never been a dog owner and never really a dog person. It has been an adjustment for me at first, but Brooks is the happiest sweetest dog. I swear she is always smiling, always wants cuddles, and gets us out of the house walking around and exploring. I see how much loyalty dogs have, how much joy they bring, and how stinking smart they are as well. It has been fun to have a pup in my life a little bit.


#19 - I was featured in my first podcast! This is just a little silly one, as my friend Troy asked me to participate in his podcast he was just starting... but it was fun to have someone ask me questions about my life, be recorded, and be a part of this process. I liked it!

#20 - I did not worry about my psoriasis. For the entire age of 31, I didn't have to stress or worry or think about psoriasis. I was on my medication regularly. I have gotten better at giving myself the shots. And the whole issue was just a total non-issue for the first time in so long. It has been a blessing!

#21 - I hit 10 years with my company. Milestones are fun and this was a big one! Starting at GE at the age of 21, reaching this at 31 is a no brainer. But 10 years - wow! I got to order a gift off a random website and I ordered a Polaroid camera that came without film and I haven't been able to find the film I need yet. So, so far it's been a great 10 year work-versary gift I selected!

#22 - I learned how to knit! During the 10 days that I spent sitting at the hospital with my grandmother, my Aunt Polly taught me how to knit. I quickly became OBSESSED and bought a bunch of yarn and looms, and began knitting hats like crazy. I found a hospice center that I could donate them to, and then set my sights on blankets. I made quite a few, but have since lagged a bit. The blankets take longer to make and longer to see progress so it is a little less satisfying than just whipping out a hat in a few sittings. But, I have the skill now!! Knitting became a thing at age 31.


#23 - I attended my first real college football game at the University of Alabama!! This was on my "living in the South" bucket list and loved going out to Alabama to see a game. It felt like a cultural experience. ROLL TIDE!


#24 - I started racing my marathons in shorts. Okay, okay, I may be stretching a little here but this was a big thing for me! I did both my marathons this year in shorts, whereas before, I was way too self conscious. This is a sign of me becoming more confident with myself as a person and as a runner.

#25 - I joined the West Georgia Track Club! (Hey number 6!) I have loved expanding my network of running communities in Georgia and have met so many wonderful people through this group. They are one of the most supportive running organizations I have seen and LOVE what they bring and do for their small community in Carrollton. I may be biased, but I think this organization is pretty incredible and I am proud to be a member and wear the gear.

#26 - I went through a donut phase. Yeah, this happened. I don't know where it came from but I suddenly became OBSESSED with donuts! I had to stop myself from getting a donut near daily from Revolution Donuts down the road from me. I started following on Instagram and obsessing over every donut place in Atlanta. When I traveled, I researched all the best donut places and made us go to them. I just was HOOKED on donuts this year! Lately, I feel like I have been growing out of my donut phase. Or maybe I have just eaten so many of them that I am less enticed? I don't know, but I am glad I can go into Revolution Donuts or stop at Dunkin without an urge/need to get a donut any more!

#27 - I saw more of Georgia. Throughout 31, I was able to get out explore more of Georgia outside of Atlanta. Part of that was from spending more time in Carrollton, but also running a marathons and half marathons in different parts of Georga, running and riding in the mountains of North Georgia, and doing organized century rides that took me over miles and miles (and miles and miles) of different parts of the state. I definitely saw SO much more of Georgia than I had in other years!

#28 - I became a manager and started growing a team at work. Although I had the title of "manager
 for a few years, this was the first year I truly was managing someone and am in the process of expanding my team now. As I grow my career and get older, I love having the opportunity to work directly with people young in career. They are hungry, eager, driven, smarter than me in so many ways, and it has been a fun experience at work to become a manager.

#29 - I started re-watching all of the past seasons of Friends. Friends has always been my favorite TV show. I was obsessed with it in high school and I used to watch the DVDs over and over with my roommate in college. However, I really haven't watched a lot of the episodes as a real live adult. It is so fun to relive all the episodes and also totally see them in a different light as a person with a job, apartment, dating, relationships, etc. Friends as a 31 year old has been a totally different experience than Friends as a 14 year old! (And now a 32 year old, since I still have a couple seasons left!)

#30 -  The age of 31 was the year I wore my Yak Trax while running IN ATLANTA. Who knows if we will have more years of snowstorms in Atlanta or if I will live in the South long enough to see it if it does happen, so if not - this was the year of Yak Trax in Atlanta! I can't say I lived here during the ice storm that caused people to sleep in their offices. But I will put this on my claim to fame from here out in Atlanta weather horror stories!

#31 - This year I really started to think about purchasing a home. And let me emphasize I literally JUST mean to THINK about it. But it is something that comes across my mind and that I am considering for the future. I put this on the list because it is a distinct change for me. I always thought I would live in apartments, not "settle down" and not have to add "house stuff" to the list of things that I have to do on the weekends. Not gonna lie, I do love that I just call someone when there is a leak or the AC is broken or something needs to be fixed, and they come and do it, and there is no cost to me. But I have been thinking about a house. I have been thinking the future. This year of life was the first time that I've seen the appeal in these things and to me - that is noteworthy!

So, that's my quick summary for the day of things that happened and marked year 31 as year 31 for me. Things that I can look back and wonder "How old was I when I ran the Berlin Marathon? How old was I when I first wanted to buy a house? How old was I when I cooked for real, for real, my first Thanksgiving turkey? Oh yeah! I was 31!"

I'm excited to see what 32 has in store and am thankful for the days, health, and opportunity I have to make it the best it can be. Cheers and happy birthday to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment