Saturday, September 29, 2012

My experience with Albany F.I.T. Boot Camp

I've been wanting to write this post for a while, and I finally managed to sit down and actually write it.

Last fall I started to think that I wanted to add something to my workout routine (that consisted of mainly just cardio) to build strength and tone my body.  I was concerned about trying to go about this on my own.  I've always known myself well enough to know that I need goals and a start and a finish to help me get through a workout.  If I go out to exercise without a start & finish already planned, I will work out for about 10 minutes and then think, "Whew! That was probably pretty good.  Time to rest."  This is why I like to run 5Ks and take classes such as spin.  Having a start and a finish already defined helps me to keep motivated.  And on top of that, I also don't know what the heck I'm doing when it comes to this stuff!

I thought about getting a personal trainer but was worried about the cost.  Then, a friend told me about F.I.T. Boot Camps.  She had been doing it with her husband for the past few months and loved it.  It seemed interesting and I decided to give it a shot.  Well, that was last fall and now, about 11 months later, I am still getting up at 5:00 a.m. three times a week to get my butt kicked by the trainers at the Albany F.I.T. Boot Camp!

On the ropes!  Something I'd only ever seen on The Biggest Loser before this class.
Kettle bell lifts. Ow.
When I started, we were working out outdoors at the Empire State Plaza.  As it got colder outside we moved to the Rensselaer Boys and Girls Club.  And as of the past few months, we've moved to the F.I.T. Boot Camp's brand new private facility on Fuller Road in Albany.  Although the new facility doesn't have the same fun as working out outdoors at Empire Plaza or require the sometimes creativity that we'd get with our workouts at the Boys and Girls Club -- it does have amazing equipment and LOTS of new times & class offerings.


So, with those logistics out of the way.  Let me say I LOVE this boot camp.  It really has been exactly what I needed in my workout.  It continually challenges me, it is fun, and I am not getting bored!  The trainers there are really great.  They provide the perfect amount of tough-ness and are always pushing me to do better.  They are understanding and helpful when you need it.  Despite it being an often PACKED class, I feel like I get one-on-one attention and the trainers have really gotten to know me and what I can do and want to do in the classes.

My trainer, James, holding me back while running with the bands.
Over the months I've brought a number of friends with me and everyone is always impressed with the workouts and the staff at F.I.T. Boot Camps.  The past couple months they've started to get more involved with promoting the classes and the facility using social media.  Given my line of work I find this incredibly smart and impressive.  It also provides me with these gems of photos on Facebook of myself working out.  I have had SO MANY friends from all over the country comment to me on these pictures.  Sometimes embarrassing, sometimes it makes me really proud.  Actually, mostly proud.  When I look at these pictures I feel the same way that I do when I look at the pictures from the sprint triathlon I did.  I'm proud of the accomplishments I've made over the past year.  I really love that I made the decision to start going to boot camp and am still enjoying every minute of it!  Well, maybe not enjoying every minute.  It is tough! :)

My birthday photo shoot is below.  You know I enjoy this if I even get up at 5:00 a.m. on my birthday :)  Happy weekend everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment