Monday, November 25, 2013

A chilly run, TMI & a pasta feast!

So, I've got the coldest run so far under my belt.  It was 12 degrees this morning!


Believe it or not, I had more determination to get out and run this morning than I have on other mornings.  I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this.  And I'm also terrified that if I skip a run, I will not be able to get back in the groove so I am doing my best to just keep on going.  Twelve degrees and all.

I wore lots of layers for my run, even more so than I initially planned.  Before I walked out the door this morning I snapped a picture in the mirror.

Before heading out the door and before grabbing an extra layer of pants :)
However, once I opened the door to step outside I was like, "Nope.  Need more." and turned back in for another pair of pants.  SO, my layers this morning included running tights, sweatpants, ski socks with running socks over it, a t-shirt, a dry whick long sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, neck warmer, hat, and mittens.  And I sweat through everything.  Good times.  This is going to be a season of LOTS of laundry with all the layers I am wearing every day.

Jess and I did 4 miles at a sub-10 minute pace, which, if I do that, feels like a great run to me.

Post 4-miles in 12 degree weather!
On the mornings that I run I always pack my clothes for work and shower/change at the fitness center at work (since we run close to work.)  So far I have done a pretty decent job of not having any wardrobe mistakes.  There was one day that I accidentally packed a stained t-shirt and had to call Dani to borrow one, but that's all.  Today however, I realized when I was changing that I forgot a bra.  Going braless is not an option for me, so I ended up using the blow dryer to dry the sweat off my sports bra and had to wear that throughout the day!

I was so self conscious with the smelly sports bra on and tried to keep people at a distance.  Sports bras just give that weird "uniboob" look and I just did not feel comfortable all day.  I was pretty happy to get home from work today and change in to my PJs and take off that bra!  Sorry if that is too much information, but I just figured I'd share.  Life of a runner, you know?

On that same topic (too much information... life of a runner...), I am pretty sure I am in the beginning stages of losing a toenail on my right big toe.  It's been painful for a few days now and feels pretty awkward.  It looks like there is a blister underneath it so I am watching it closely and trying to be careful with it.  I sort of feel like this is my initiation into the running club.  Right before marathon training begins :)

Today ended with a heaping plate of pasta at Johnny's in Schenectady as I got together with some of the current members & alumni of the program I did when I began my professional career.  It's a blessing when people that you work with are friends as well.  We caught up, laughed, and had a great time.  And the food at Johnny's?  So good!  Homemade pasta is amazing, amiright?

I agonized over what to order on the menu because I wanted something healthy.  I ended up with chicken cacciatore, which came with onions, peppers, mushrooms, and at my request, broccoli as well.  The dish isn't really all that healthy but it came with vegetables at least and wasn't just a straight pasta dish and didn't have a cream sauce.  I got some protein along with my carbs too.  I dove right in and didn't look back once it was in front of me.

The work gang at Johnny's tonight!
Hope you had a great start to your short work week!

No comments:

Post a Comment