Monday, November 21, 2011

The benefit of working from home: breakfast for lunch!

As I mentioned, this week, I am working from home at my mom's house in Rhode Island.  The pros/cons of working from home are debated constantly in articles I read.  It seems to becoming more popular given the increased ease and ability to communicate and connect from almost anywhere with WiFi.  As well, there are debates that working from home can boost productivity, increased work-life balance, and eases over-crowded office buildings and congested commutes.

Personally, I enjoy going into the office.  My commute wakes me up, clears my head, and gets me ready for my day in the office.  I enjoy being surrounded by co-workers and having face-to-face interactions.  I like the comfort and consistency of my office space and my comfy desk chair.  Sure, some days I would much prefer to work out of sweatpants and avoid the distractions and busy-ness of the office.  And yes, I can often be more productive when I get rid of external distractions, interruptions, and just plug away, just me at my computer.  But for now, I think the benefits of working from a centralized office outweigh the cons for me.

However, one thing that I do LOVE about working from home is the ability to prepare and put together hot meals for myself in the comfort of my own kitchen.  Brown bag lunches and eating out can only take you so far.  There is something about putting together a hot meal for yourself that you just can't recreate in the office.

Today I had a delicious breakfast-for-lunch meal of a veggie egg white scramble and whole wheat toast. Before leaving Albany, I had put together a bunch of veggies I had prepared and then been using in meals... caramelized onions, sauteed yellow bell pepper and mushrooms, steamed broccoli and fresh chopped tomatoes.  For the past few days I have been eating egg whites with a large scoop of my veggie mixture chopped and scrambled in, with some of whatever cheese is nearby.  Today it was shredded mozzarella.

This meal is so delicious and it is a perfect lunch for me.  I don't usually eat too much in the mornings and this protein-flavor packed dish is such a great mid-day meal for me.  I would eat this every single day for lunch if I could.  Egg white/veggie scrambles are a far under-used part of my meal repertoire that I am definitely catching back up on this week while I work from home!!


No comments:

Post a Comment