Thursday, July 18, 2013

Simple recipe for beet hummus

Hey guys!  I had a busy day in Connecticut today and feeling proud that I accomplished a 4.25 mile run this morning.  It was a great feeling knowing that the last time I had tried to run here it was cold and I was miserable and had given up.  I finished the run despite the hills and the heat!

Other than that it wasn't too exciting of a day, although I really did enjoy the work trip I was on, which is pretty normal for me but still always makes me happy that I have a job I enjoy. Today I wanted to share with you the recipe for the beet hummus that I made this past weekend.  I brought it with me to the ballet earlier this week and everyone loved it!  I am excited to still have more left and a stash frozen for the future.  And, for now liking beets!

Recipe: Beet Hummus

Ingredients:
~5 small beets
15 oz can of chick peas
1 clove of garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt & pepper
Olive oil

1.  Clean the beets and cut the end so that they are small bulbs.  Cover them in water and simmer for 30 minutes.


2.  Cut the beets in half and peel off the skins of the beets.  Mince the clove of garlic.


3.  In the food processor add the chick peas, beets, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic.

4.  Begin to pulse the mixture in a food processor and strain in olive oil as it mixes.  Add olive oil until the mixture processes and comes together to a thick consistency.  Add more olive oil depending on preferred style of hummus.  The less you use, the thicker it will be.


5.  You may need to open the food processor once or twice to scrape down the sides of the food processor to make sure that everything is incorporating.

6.  Serve with favorite pita chips or veggies!


No comments:

Post a Comment