Tuesday, September 1, 2015

32 hours of travel later - I am in Bangkok

Hey everyone! I wanted to pop in quick as my availability to post and share is probably going to be pretty tight for the coming week. And well, it really was for the last week as well as I’ve had a bit of a crazy travel schedule.

As you know, last Tuesday I flew to Orlando and after spending a day on vacation enjoying a park, I then spent the week at a conference for work with days at a booth in a hotel conference center followed by evening dinners and events. It was a week of squeezing in runs where I could and for me, that meant doing them on the treadmill. On Wednesday, as I mentioned, I ran 8 miles on the treadmill and then on Thursday morning started the day with 5 miles on the treadmill. I tried listening to new podcasts during both runs, trying out a NPR podcast about a tyrannical janitor in the town where I used to live (I had no idea about this story!) and one about a “mystery” of how Britney Spears ended up with a specific book. That second one was terrible.

After the work week, I flew on Friday from Orlando to Boston, MA to meet up with my friends for the bachelorette party of one of the girls in my childhood crew, Meaggie. It was a wonderful weekend that I will write about at another point to capture the details and memories.

Unfortunately I had to leave the weekend a bit early – in the middle of the night between Saturday and Sunday, to be precise, to drive back to Boston from Newport, Rhode Island to begin a +24 hour journey from Boston to Atlanta to Tokyo to Bangkok for another week of work conferences.  It was a long, long trip that started at 3:00 a.m. where I got up to get ready, then left the hotel at 3:30 a.m. to drive to Boston, arriving at around 5:00 a.m. for a 7:00 a.m. flight to Atlanta.

I did not get to go home, but just connected long enough to get a 13-hour flight from Atlanta to Tokyo, then a 6-hour flight from Tokyo to Bangkok and then a 45 minute taxi ride to my hotel.  A journey that began at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday morning ended at around midnight on Monday night.  Even with the 11 hour time difference, that is a trek of more than 32 hours.

After going to bed, I woke up early to do a little e-mail and then be at a 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting before hanging out at the work conference all day.

It certainly is a lot and my training schedule is going to be all over the place this week with my runs, as I am just hoping to get them in whereever I can.  However, I am not complaining whatsoever and am thrilled to have the opportunity to be in Thailand and explore the city of Bangkok a little bit.  We are staying north of the actual city and have very busy days, but have already had an adventure or two that I will share with you in an actual post about the trip.

Hope you are enjoying the week and I will check in more when I can!  Happy September!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment