Thursday, December 22, 2011

25 Questions of Christmas!

Today, I've seen a number of my favorite blogs post a short 25 question Christmas survey. Since my past 2 blogs have been rather "heavy" I thought it would be fun to lighten things up a bit and share a little bit about Christmas and what my families Christmas traditions are. Also, check out Emily's answers over at Perfection Isn't Happy, as she is one of the bloggers that inspired me to do my own. Merry Christmas everybody!

1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate all the way. I actually was thinking of doing a blog entry purely dedicated to the topic of Eggnog. I've seen various debates pop up across the internet and on the radio around what eggnog is and who likes it. It seems like people either love it or hate it. I am a chocolate girl through and through and eggnog does nothing for me, so pass the hot chocolate and don't forget the marshmallows please!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
He wraps them! Does Santa not wrap some people's gifts? I didn't even realize that and feel bad for those who don't get to make a giant mess on Christmas morning by unwrapping gifts :)

3. Colored or white lights on tree and house?
I have to say I am a fan of colored. Growing up we had these huge colored tacky Christmas lights on our tree and I always loved them. In the past few years, my mom switched to decorating the tree with small white lights. However, I will always be a fan of the big colored ones. My own tree will always be colored!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
I do not. To be honest, I don't think I've ever really seen mistletoe in real life...

5. When do you hang your decorations up?
My decorations go up right after Thanksgiving. I like to make the holidays stretch for as long as possible.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish, besides dessert?
Meatballs! Leave it to an Italian/Swedish family to have meatballs on Christmas but I look forward to it every year.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
I remember barely being able to sleep every night because I was so excited. And trying desperately to listen for Santa and the reindeer on the roof. We'd always have a fire on Christmas Eve and eat Chinese food. I loved the time just spent as a family.

8. What’s on your Christmas wish-list?
Not too much this year. I asked for a teapot and the book Drew Ramsey and Tyler Graham's book "The Happiness Diet" that I discussed in my past entry.

9. Do you open presents on Christmas Eve?
When we were younger we opened family/sibling presents on Christmas Eve (and Santa's presents in the morning). Since the Santa thing has worn off and it is pretty much understood that all the gifts under the tree are family gifts now, we do them all the day of.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Very eclectically. The tree at my mom's house is full of a mish mash of new and old, homemade and store bought ornaments. Every year my mom tries to discard of these horribly tacky bird ornaments, but my brother insists. As well, she tries to insist on no tinsel, but that is one of my favorite parts.

11. Snow? Love it or dread it?
What is Christmastime without snow?? But then again... will someone please shovel my car out for me? ;)

12. Real or fake tree?
If possible, go real. I have a miniature fake tree for my apartment and this year I found myself encouraging my mom to go fake. We'll see what happens in the future...

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I always loved getting a "Storybook" of Life Savers, as lame as that sounds. It was something that was in our stocking every year and I always looked forward to it.

14. What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you?
Being with family.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
My mom makes the most amazing fudge of all time. She is a phenomenal baker and every December her kitchen turns into a fudge factory as she experiments and creates different fudge flavors. Nobodies fudge even compares and I look forward to it every year.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I love opening the gifts at my grandmother's house every year. It is always a crazily chaotic event with ~20 people opening presents, shouting thank yous, paper flying, trying things on, etc. But it is a ton of fun and a great family tradition.  As well, at the end of the day, we all take one of the ribbons from the presents and take a "Bow" picture.  Silly, but fun :)

17. What tops your tree?
An angel!

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
To be honest, I love giving gifts. Always have and always will!

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
I am a sucker for "All I Want for Christmas is You" but I also really love "Last Christmas," "Please Come Home for Christmas," and "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

20. Candy canes, yuck or yum?
Yum! My grandmother always has them on her tree and by the end of the day, they are usually gone :)

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
Elf, A Christmas Story, and Love Actually.  My college roommates and I loved Elf so much that last year we all went to go see the Broadway play they made from the movie!

22. What do you leave for Santa?
Cookies, milk, and some carrots for the reindeer!

23. Do you have a favorite Christmas morning tradition?
When we were younger, my brother, sister and I would not be allowed to go downstairs until 6:30 a.m. I barely slept Christmas night I was so excited but we would usually get up around 6:00 a.m. and talk about/guess what would be under the tree when we got downstairs. At 6:29 we would stand, waiting for the clock to move to 6:30 and then SPRINT to wake up my parents and then run downstairs to see the tree and gifts. My siblings and I always had our regular seats/opening locations that we would sit at year after year as well.

24. Do you prefer to shop online or in the mall?
I like to go to stores, but definitely shop online for unique/unusual gifts or gifts with better prices online.

25. Christmas letter or Christmas cards?
Cards with a photo please!

Please let me know if you complete the survey as well, I would love to read your answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment