Friday, December 23, 2011

Oatmeal, peanut butter & banana lunch of deliciousness!

I've been hearing really great feedback from friends about the recipe that I shared for spaghetti squash and chicken sausage.  It makes me SO HAPPY to hear that many of you have tried it and loved the recipe. Please let me know if anybody else out there has tried it and/or if you altered my recipe in any way.  I love to learn what you are doing in the kitchen as well!

I've done a couple posts lately about longer topics that I felt were interesting to write about and that I care about but I wanted to get back to what I know many of you love... tips for eating delicious meals that are also, fast, low-cost, and easy for the 20-somethings out there who are often on the go and/or cooking for one.

What I wanted to share today is actually what I have been eating almost every day for the past week for lunch.  I actually got the idea of combining these things for a lunch from Courtney at Sweet Tooth Sweet Life's oatmeal/peanut butter breakfast.  I like a lighter breakfast but thought it could make for a great, easy lunch!  I make this at my desk at work and it is warm, delicious, sweet, and keeps me full throughout the afternoon.  I probably shouldn't even call this a "recipe" but rather a "combination" however, let me indulge, will you?  Here is my latest recipe for a super delicious, quick, and filling lunch:

I call this my Lunch of Deliciousness!

Oatmeal, Peanut Butter & Banana [aka Lunch of Deliciousness]
Makes: 1 serving
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 6

Ingredients:
- 1 packet instant oatmeal
- Hot water
- Banana
- Peanut Butter
- 1 Splenda packet (optional)

Step 1:  Prepare instant oatmeal as instructions state.  The water cooler near my desk has a hot water option, so I've learned that just by counting to 3 as I open the hot water faucet, is the perfect amount for oatmeal.  My current favorite oatmeal is Quaker Instant Oatmeal in the Chocolate Chip flavor, this is 3 Points Plus.  Another favorite is Quaker Instant Oatmeal Cinnamon Swirl, which usually comes in at 4 Points Plus.  I add one Splenda packet at this point and mix it in.

Step 2:  Cut up a banana into small slices and mix in to warm oatmeal.

Can you spot the extra little treat I added yesterday? Hey, it's the holidays! :)
Step 3: Stir in 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.  I actually have Jif To Go packets that I keep in my desk at work and LOVE.  In fact, I actually don't stir my peanut butter in to this but put a little bit on my spoon with each bite so I get a good amount of peanut buttery goodness.  As well, the Jif To Go packs have a ton of peanut butter in them and one pack is a total of 7 points.  That may seem like a lot but I use about 1/2 the pack with my lunch and then eat the other 1/2 of the pack throughout the afternoon with 0 points fruits and vegetables such as carrots, celery, apples, etc.

Step 4: Enjoy!!

I think one of the things that makes this meal work for me so well is that I love to have something sweet after I finish eating.  When I have this for lunch I actually feel like I am having a dessert-like meal for lunch.  I have an incredible sweet tooth so any way I can satisfy those cravings while eating healthy foods and staying within my Points Plus range for the day, I love!

Side note: you may have noticed that there is a Hershey's Kiss atop my oatmeal in the picture.  I was eating a Chocolate Chip oatmeal yesterday and the Kisses have been floating around my office for the holidays, so I figured I'd add one to make my meal a little extra chocolate-y as a holiday treat.  Hey, why not, right?  Happy eating!


Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Yum. This makes me hungry. But, now I have to ask, what do you eat for breakfast??

    ReplyDelete