Friday, December 30, 2011

My 2012 New Year's Resolutions

For the first time in my life, this past year I kept my New Year's Resolution.  I actually exceeded my goal of losing 40 lbs in the year, and ended the year with a total weight loss of 55.6 lbs!  I've got some big shoes to fill in 2012 but I think I can do it.  My resolutions for 2012 are as follows:

Resolution #1:  Reach my goal weight and become a Weight Watchers Lifetime member.
What is my goal weight?  Well, I haven't actually set it yet.  Currently I am 6.4 lbs away from getting into the healthy weight range listed for my height.  However, I would ideally like to be a bit below that.  I want to keep working to get to a comfortable and HEALTHY weight for my body.  I've also decided to stick with Weight Watchers until I reach Lifetime status membership.  I have come so far with the program and really want to see this through to get Lifetime.
Resolution #2:  Maintain, maintain, maintain!!
I know that the maintenance of my weight loss is going to be just as much (if not more) of a challenge as getting the weight off.  I had the positive reinforcement and excitement each week of achieving small goals and seeing the numbers on the scale go down.  Once I am maintaining, I will not have that anymore.  That being said, there are a lot of other health & fitness goals that I have in mind and that I will be working towards in 2012.  I'm hoping these goals will help me to have things to "celebrate" and keep me motivated.  Which leads me to my next resolution...
Resolution #3:  Run faster & further.
My fastest 5K so far has been a 30:08 and I am determined to break 30 minutes this year.  I'm running inside this time of year so I've started some speed workouts on the treadmill, pushing myself harder and faster than I've ever run before.  I'm also exploring races for 2012 and want to participate in a long race.  I ran two 10Ks in 2011, making the furthest I've ever run 6.2 miles.  This year I want to push past that distance with some longer runs, even just recreationally.
Resolution #4:  Take care of me.
Plain and simple.  I aim to be my own best friend in 2012 and do whatever it takes to just take care of me.

And with that, I bid you adieu 2011.  This past year has rocked me to the core in every way imaginable.  It has led me to not only question, but completely change, some of the beliefs that I have formed about myself and my life over the past 25 years.  I have become painfully aware of some of the areas that I need to work on-- and also of a strength inside of me that I didn't know or believe existed.  My farewell to the year 2011 is incredibly bittersweet because it started and ended a chapter in my life that I'm not sure I'm ready to say goodbye to yet.  I think 2012 is going to be a year of growth for me; I'm excited to see what it brings.  May your celebrations on the 31st be safe and joyful, and may 2012 bring a year filled with love, health and happiness.  Happy New Year everybody!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! That's incredible! And cheers to an even more amazing 2012 for you.

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fabulous weight loss- "weigh" to go ;)! I hope you reach Lifetime Status at WW very soon! It's frustrating towards the tail-end but eventually SO worth it ;)! As for your running goals I am confident you will surpass your goal to break a 30-min 5km...you're already so close to doing so! Wish you a happy & successful 2012!

    ReplyDelete