Thursday, May 16, 2013

CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge... year four!!

Tonight I ran in my 4th CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge 3.5 mile race with the team where I work.  This race is always meaningful to me because it was 3 years ago in the spring that I finally got my butt in gear and decided to do a Couch to 5K training program to work up to the Workforce Challenge.

I trained throughout the spring in preparation, and come race day, I wasn't able to run the whole thing and had to take a walking break.  I was disappointed but kept with running and the next race I did... the Freihofer's Run for Women in June, I officially ran my first 5K without stopping to walk.  Fast forward three years, I spent the spring training for a half marathon, and ran that whole thing without stopping!  It's pretty cool to think how far I've come.

The Workforce Challenge is always a fun race, aside from it's personal meaning to me.  It's cool to see all the runners and people from work come out and do this race.  We've been lucky as well and every year had great weather.   The backdrop of the Empire State Plaza is always a gorgeous place to start a race too!


It's not a run that you should ever try to PR in as it is always SO crowded and you spend the first mile just trying to dodge around people and get into a pace.

The start of this year's race.
But it's a great course and there are so many new runners that do this, it is just a friendly and fun atmosphere.

Part of the team!
I was a bit nervous going into it because of my knee pain but decided to just take it easy, and even walk when I needed to, if I needed to.  For whatever reason I've just had a tough time getting back into running since the half marathon.  I was really proud of myself because I was able to run the whole race!  I didn't really have knee pain either which made me even HAPPIER!  I am so thankful that a friend of my N, kept with me the whole race.  I told him numerous times to just run ahead but he didn't, he stayed with me.  And I'm pretty positive that if he hadn't, I wouldn't have kept pushing myself to run and ended up walking for a portion of the race.  I am so thankful to have had his encouragement because it gave me back a little confidence that I am in better shape than I thought right now even with having taken a couple weeks off from running.

He kept me in positive spirits throughout the whole race and we had a lot of fun in the last half mile cheering for random people by reading off the backs of their shirts and just shouting out words of encouragement.  Goofiness and laughter is always a plus with me :)


The race was a blast and heading out for beers afterwards wasn't too bad either :)


Unfortunately, it didn't end up being a good eating day for me due to the beers and hunger after the race that led me to make a couple poor choices.  However, I'll move forward and keep in mind that it happens sometimes and try to not feel guilty but proud of what I did accomplish and be ready for tomorrow.  I did enjoy the beer and food though :)

And side note... yesterday I didn't mention this in my post but I was proud of myself because I did an at home workout.  Generally my workout at home look a lot like this video from Jenna Marbles.

BUT I pushed myself and do this 50-40-30-20-10 workout of Julie's at Peanut Butter Fingers.  I already felt it immediately after working out and I think tomorrow it will peak. It was a nice workout though and I recommend it!

Happy Thursday everyone!!

P.S.  Are you on Twitter?  Follow me at @HungryTwenties!

P.P.S.  I just reread this in the AM and realized the irony of yesterday's "Doing it on my own" post and today's, "Yay! Thank you N for your help!  Maybe doing it "alone" isn't really doing it "alone?"  Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment