Sunday, February 1, 2015

We made it through January!

We made it through January guys!  Today officially starts a new month of the year 2015.  How in the world is that possible?  It's crazy to me that it is February because that means I have now been in my new job, that I still feel like I am getting used to every day, for a full 6 months, and that it's been almost 6 months since I have moved to Atlanta!  I still feel like I am brand spanking new here.  I haven't explored so many neighborhoods, have tried barely any restaurants, and still need Google Maps to navigate me just about everywhere.  I do not want to have to give up the claim that I am "new" to Atlanta any time soon because that would make me a slacker.  I haven't even registered my car yet!

Since I got back on Thursday night from New York, I have had a really busy weekend!  I forced myself to get off my butt and go out on Friday night to a cool art/music show in a tattoo parlor in a new neighborhood.  Random, I know, but it was neat and the type of event that just doesn't take place in Albany so I wanted to take advantage of it when I saw it on Instagram.  My new plan is that whenever I feel sad or lonely or struggling to totally out of my element, I will try something new in Atlanta that reminds me of why I wanted to move away in the first place.  It's sometimes not easy, and to be completely honest, I sat in my car for 30 minutes before I went into this event on Friday night trying to work up the guts to go in on my own, but I did and I am glad that I did!

Saturday morning was a crazy busy day that I started really early.  Earlier than I even needed to... I arrived at my gym at 6:30 a.m. wanting to get a workout in before my day started... and the gym doesn't even open on Saturdays until 7:00 a.m.  So, I sat in my car angry and annoyed that I woke up extra early for no reason and wasn't going to have a chance to do my full workout.


That is me, NOT happy.  

However, on the positive side, Saturday mornings are my "official" weigh in days, and I reached my goal of losing 1.2 lbs, actually losing 1.3 and making my total since I started trying 10.1 pounds.  That was motivating and did make me happy because it was a really hard week to stay on track.


I'm already nervous about the week ahead with the travel and plans that I have.  I feel like every week that goes by gets harder and harder so I apologize for sounding like a broken record.  I just really want to get to the place that I feel comfortable and good about myself, and that my clothes fit me better.  But it's also SO hard to eat out meals and remain on track and not go over Weight Watchers points.  Even with the extra "activity" points I get, it's so hard.  And alcohol?  Yeesh.

Challenges I have this week include: Super Bowl, traveling for 4 days, followed immediately by a friend visiting (which means meals out & extra drinks.)

One of the things I have been trying to remember when I am tempted eating out is that most meals are not "special" occasions or reasons to overindulge.  So, I guess, with some of what I have coming up there will be some "special" things that it will be okay if I eat a little extra on.  It's all about balance I think, and I just need to really work hard to remember that.

After my early morning workout that consisted of 5 miles on the treadmill, I headed over to spend a full day in a classroom going through coaches training and CPR certification to become a coach for Girls on the Run Atlanta!  



I am really excited to get involved with this organization and become a coach for many reasons.  But for those of you who may not be familiar with it, it is about working with girls grades 3-5 helping to use running as a way to build self confidence, healthy living, and encourage positivity in girls.  Throughout the 10-week program, the girls meet 2x a week to go through different lessons and workouts with the goal of training for and running a 5K! 

Running my first 5K was something that was a HUGE accomplishment for me that I met in my mid-20s and it set me off on a path that has taken me somewhere I never even imagined I could ever be.  I WISH that I had begun running earlier in my life when I was in middle and high school and struggling with self esteem and self worth.  I mean, to be honest, I think it's something I will always struggle with, but I have learned SO much from running and distance running and it has brought so many incredibly wonderful things into my life.  From friends, to travel, to knowing that I can accomplish things outside of my realm, to fitness, to health, to laughter, to self confidence, to feeling totally and completely badass and proud of myself in a way that nothing else has ever been able to do.  I love what running has done for my life and I am excited to be a part of bringing it into the lives of others, especially young girls!

It was a long day and I was very antsy towards the end, but I am so excited to be a part of this!

I met up with some friends on Saturday for some basketball and drinks, but made it to bed before midnight because I am an old lady had to run in the morning.

This run this morning I did NOT want to do.  I was trying to scheme ways that I could do the run at a different time or just not go and do it, but I somehow got myself out of bed to meet at 7:30 a.m. in midtown Atlanta for a run that took me through the Old Fourth Ward, through Centennial Olympic Park, Georgia Tech, and back to midtown where I downed a latte and "thintastic" bagel from Einstein Bagels.


I did not feel good during this run and I did not want to do it even while I was doing it.  I know I just wrote that glowing paragraph about how much I love running but today's run was one of those where the whole time I am forcing myself to keep moving and thinking about how easy it would be to just walk, take a cab back, and never run again.  Running is HARD.  And sometimes it can be a hard day.  And getting through those hard days makes us stronger runners and stronger people, so I am proud of myself for finishing the 8-miles at about a 10:19/mile pace.  Excuse the awkward picture I stole from Facebook.


I followed up the run by going to the gym to finish the workout that I missed out on Saturday morning.  I did my "pull day" workout at the gym and some abs, and also made myself stick out like even more of a sore thumb by taking pictures of myself, cause I'm awkward like that.


It's been 2 weeks that I have been trying to lift weights and I feel awkward almost all the time and don't know if I am doing it right, but it is challenging and fun and I am enjoying it so looking forward to keeping it going!

So, with all of that, I will close this post by letting you guys know that I did something today.  I did something today that I didn't really think TOO much about but followed some peer pressure and went with the crowd... and registered for the New Orleans Rock N Roll Marathon in February 2016.  Yes, marathon.  Full marathon!  There is a special discount price for the race of $50 that ends today so I just went for it and signed up.  It is still MORE THAN A YEAR away so there is plenty of time to change my mind, and I made sure that with this race you can switch to the half marathon if you choose to.  But, right now I am registered for another marathon!  It's a flat course and I know a lot of people doing it, but we'll just see what happens between now and then.  I vowed after last year to only do races with a lot of hype around them.  And I am in the lottery right now for the NYC Marathon in November and planning to enter Chicago too.  So, again.  One day at a time, just wanted to take advantage of that deal and give myself the option of the full if I decided to do!  IF YOU WANT TO REGISTER GO DO IT RIGHT NOW!!  That is all.

It's not about time for me to head out to watch the Super Bowl and root for the Patriots and go over on my Weight Watchers points by drinking beers.  So, yippee and happy Sunday everyone! 

GO PATRIOTS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment