Thursday, April 30, 2015

Chicago Marathon - here I come!!

Ladies and gentlemen -- it is official, I am running the Chicago Marathon this October 11!!!!


It has been a whirlwind couple of days as I spent all of Tuesday sitting at my computer hitting refresh on my e-mail to see if I got into the race via the lottery system.  Unfortunately at the end of the day it became clear that I did not get in and I was SO disappointed.  I have been researching alternative marathons for weeks and nothing excited me.  I thought back to last year when I was training for Kansas City and wishing I was training for Chicago.  I saw SO many people I know posting to Facebook that they would be running Chicago.  And I knew deep down in my heart that it was the marathon I wanted to run next, so I started looking into charity organizations and how that process worked.

I realized that Girls on the Run, the organization that I just finished volunteering for over the past few months, had a Chicago Marathon team and charity affiliation.  Not only that, I can delegate that the funds that I raise through the program go specifically towards the Atlanta chapter of Girls on the Run.  So, I submitted an application, was approved within 24 hours, and I am now officially registered to run the marathon!!!

I am so thrilled and also a little intimidated at the idea of raising $1500 without becoming a total hound begging friends and family to donate.  I do not want to be that person, but definitely will be making requests here and there, starting right now.  If you would like to donate to my Chicago Marathon funds for Girls on the Run Atlanta, please visit my fundraising page!   Your funds will go towards providing scholarships for girls in Atlanta to participate in the program, including everything from shoes to pre run snacks.

Since I am not doing the charity route to get out of paying for the race myself, I kicked off the donations with $185 of my own money, which is the cost of the Chicago Marathon registration.  This is what I would have paid were I to get into the lottery system on Tuesday.  Please donate if you are able and also support this organization.  You've heard about my experience and seen the pictures of the smiling girls I worked with this season.  I think that having more girls experience the fun and empowerment of running can only be a good thing!!  THANK YOU!!!

https://www.crowdrise.com/gotrchicagomarathon2015/fundraiser/katelynburess

No comments:

Post a Comment