Thursday, April 23, 2015

Running and workouts plus cupcakes and beer

So, you guys can tell that I’m doing a really good job of staying active, especially while I am not training for anything in particular right now. It’s been another week with a lot of ups and downs as far as making smart decisions about what I eat or drink. I just can’t seem to get my eating on point this week.

On Monday I had a work dinner and passed on all alcohol so that I could go to the gym afterwards. However, I did eat all the chips and quesadillas. Then on Tuesday, I came into my meeting late and had to spend the entire day sitting in the back of the room at the food table right next to the stash of goods from Panera that started with bagels and pastries in the morning and then delicious looking sandwiches, chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes in the afternoon. I avoided them ALL, ALL day, which I was so proud of.


 But then I went to dinner and ate alllll the food including nachos, kielbasa, bacon wrapped dates, crusty bread with goat cheese, fish, grits, French fries, salad with dressing, and of course, drinks.

I passed on burgers but drank the beer. I ate a healthy lunch but had pepperoni pizza and a cupcake at our Girls on the Run celebration party.

It was just up and down all throughout the week.

I’ve written about this before, but I feel like I should be losing weight for all the opportunities that I have to eat and I don’t. I should get like bonus credit for that or something, but unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. I think that I probably just need to go back to counting Weight Watchers points, I have been trying to step away from that for a while and just eat and drink how I feel rather than tracking everything but I think I need to go back. I will try again maybe next week but the next few weekends will be busy with visitors which my mind reads as “special occasions.” One day at a time I guess!

As I mentioned it was a busy week with lots of work meals. I had dinners out planned for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday; and a work lunch on Tuesday as well.

I started my day on Tuesday doing a sprint workout on the treadmill at the gym. It was one of the more basic ones that I did when I first started doing sprint work in January. It wasn’t a ton of mileage but got me sweaty and moving. I followed it up with some legs and abs, as I knew that I wouldn’t be able to work out in the evening at the usual sprint workout that I’ve been going to.


After the 10K on Saturday, I started to get worried that I am losing the ability to run fast that I had built up by doing speedwork consistently from January to March. I can’t even imagine right now how I maintained the pace that I was doing at that race for 7 more miles. Granted I tapered leading up to the half marathon and I ran on Saturday on tired legs from lots of miles this month and a Nike Training Club workout that included lots of squats on Thursday. But still. I thought I would be able to go faster.

I’m going to have to pair up with some faster runners for tempo runs and also work to motivate to do harder and more consistent speed work. I hate taking steps forward just to take steps backwards, which pisses me off with my eating habits in general. Gym? Step forward. Cupcake? Step backward.

But cupcakes are just sooo good!

Wednesday I ran a total of 6 miles in the evening. I initially intended to go to the gym in the morning too but I just couldn’t get out of bed after staying up a little later than usual going to an RnB show the night before that one of the members of the running group was working at. He had invited us all to attend and support and we ended up with a great turnout. I was able to bring my friend Melissa along with me as well, who was in town for work! I was excited for her to see a little bit of what my life is like in Atlanta and meet some of the people I hang out with. I had no idea what the show was going to be like but it ended up being a very cool venue with great drinks (and everyone said great food too!) so I am excited to see if there are more events there in the future.






My 6 miles on Wednesday night consisted of 3 solo and then 3 with the Movers and Pacers. It was a fun group run with lots of new faces for midweek and a cool opportunity to try out a new pair of running shoes.


There were some samples of the Nike Lunar Tempo sneakers that we all were able to try and I actually really enjoyed running in them. They were very cute and felt lightweight on my feet, but didn’t feel like they had a whole lot of support.



 For the three miles that I did in them, they felt okay and were pretty enjoyable, my feet did go a little bit numb but not as bad as when I have tried other shoes and they might have just needed to be broken in to my foot a little. I would definitely consider buying them and actually have it in the back of my mind. Mostly because they are really cute too and I haven’t bought sneakers based on their cuteness in a while.




I’ve spent the past 5 years running in Saucony shoes, which have always been really good to me. They fit and feel well and I just keep on buying the exact same pair over and over. Over the past year as I have started running marathons I have been wearing through my shoes faster than when they release new colors and designs so a few times I have had to buy the exact same color and style shoe, which disappoints me.

I’ve actually just been craving shopping a lot in general lately. Atlanta is a MUCH more fashionable city that Albany and I feel like I need to step up my game! The back of my mind tells me to wait until I lose a few more pounds to do a spree, but sneakers wouldn’t hurt to buy, right?! Oh and I also have in my mind that I should get some cross training shoes for when I am doing weights and working out in the gym. That seems like something I need too, right? Right.

As I mentioned, I got a couple beers after the run with friends which was a fun night and led me right into Thursday where I again, slept in a little, and then worked and am doing my workouts in the evening. I had my final Girls on the Run practice today before our 5K that is on Saturday morning! I am excited about the race and had fun with the girls today, running with two in particular who I was proud of how well they did. They kept moving further than they thought that they could go and we actually fit in 2 miles, whereas we only had 1.5 scheduled for the day and that’s what the rest of the group did.



We celebrated with a pizza and cupcake party and with a slideshow of pictures that I made from images we’d taken throughout the whole season. I am hoping the weather isn’t as bad as it says it is going to be on Saturday (right now the forecast is a 100% chance of rain…) and am excited to have the season come to a climax!

I was also excited because this week I have been feeling myself a little bit.  I always can tell when I've lost a little bit a weight because all of a sudden my selfies go way up.  I've been doing the bathroom mirror pics quite a bit lately.


Do you hate me for it?  I'll try to hold back but I'm using it as motivation. Keep going, me, keep going!  It's bizarre to me how last week I was writing about how motivated I am and this week I wrote about how I'm struggling to eat right.

But the workouts?  The workouts are getting done! I did 2 miles with Girls on the Run today and then 3 more miles with a friend before Nike Training Club.  And I definitely put in work at the NTC event tonight!  Lots of squats and another new pair of sneakers to try!!!  I swear, Nike is really trying to get me to buy their shit.



I'm really enjoying working out lately.  But sometimes I do know I need to push myself harder and tonight I tried to do that.  I ran a 9:20 pace for the last 3 miles and tried to not give up as much as possible in the workout.  I kept thinking about the cupcake that I had eaten earlier in the day!!!

Also, I'm getting really excited to finish this 100 mile challenge.  I should do it this weekend and I am getting anxious to hit it that I sort of just want to keep running nonstop.  I'm trying to temper myself!

Hope you are all having a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment