Monday, May 18, 2015

A week of exercise and a weekend in the New England

The week after Kristen left was another busy one in Atlanta, which was why I didn’t get the chance to write. Some things going on at work caused me to work a few evenings, which I don’t mind doing, but just means that I have less time to do other things (such as blog!)

I worked hard to try and make smart choices with eating and also get some good runs in! I have been a little worried about my running this month because compared to last month, I feel like I am slacking big time. I had told myself that pushing to run 100 miles in a month was something that I was going to do for the month of April and that’s it. But mentally I am now having a hard time cutting back. I want to be running more and I want to be exercising harder but sometimes there just isn’t enough hours in the day to do everything that I want to do!

However, I got some great workouts in:

I joining the Run Smyrna group on Monday night for 3.5 miles of hill repeats (this was TOUGH!).

On Tuesday morning I met up with a friend from M+P for a 6 mile run from Atlantic Station out to Buckhead and back. Part of the return back was running on the upcoming July 4th Peachtree 10K route – including the infamous “Cardiac Hill.” I am getting really excited to tackle this race in a couple months after trying the route out so much! It is not often that I RACE a route that I am familiar with.

Last Wednesday I was able to continue the strong workouts getting in two separate sweat sessions in. I started with upper body strength training before work in the morning and a tempo run in the evening. I pushed myself to try and run my 2nd half of the 4 mile out-and-back route faster than the first, which I accomplished and was pretty proud of myself for. It was a beautiful night along the Chattahoochee!

Thursday I did two-a-days as well, but this time getting in my strength training at lunchtime. This was something that I used to do regularly in Albany but haven’t done yet in Atlanta. To be honest, I wasn’t totally convinced I was going to workout at lunch but I felt really, really tired and hoped that getting to the gym would wake me up a bit. And you know what? It ABSOLUTELY did the trick. It was exactly what I needed and put me in a great mood for the rest of the day. All employers should encourage this, because I was so much more energized and ready to work once I had gotten in that gym session!

It was a day of firsts I guess on Thursday because that evening I also joined some friends for a night run. We ran the route that is mostly our regular Sunday flagship route through the city, but extending it a bit to be able to get in 4 miles rather than 3.1. It was really fun to run as the sun went down and with a smaller group and I had a lot of fun with it.

Friday morning I kept my routine of doing the Master's swim workout and it was actually really awesome because the guy swimming in the lane next to me was about my speed and if I pushed really hard I could beat him.  It kept me motivated during all of our sprints and I was determined to beat him on every interval.  I hope that we swim like that more in the future because I know I worked harder than I would have were he not in the lane right next to me.

I was glad that I was able to get in a good workout on Friday AM before work because that evening I flew up to Boston to spend the weekend at home with my family and friends.

I got in late on Friday night to my mom's and went to bed shortly after.  I planned to run on both Saturday and Sunday but ended up not being able to on Saturday, which was okay, because I also got to see my grandparents on Saturday and go up to my sister's for the day and spend time with my niece and nephew.  I swear, these babies get cuter every single day and I was so happy to be able to see them.  They just turned 7 months old and I hadn't seen them in a few months, which is a lot in baby terms!

It was such a fun day and I am already looking forward to when I get to see those little babes again!  I knew when I moved to Atlanta that not being able to see the babies as often as I would like would be a challenge, and it really is hard.  I'm lucky that with technology I get regular picture and video updates but there really is no substitute for baby cuddles and squeezing their chubby cheeks!

After spending the day with my sister and the kids, we went back to Rhode Island and had an early bedtime before getting up in the morning for the true reason why I went home.  I started the day with a 4.4 mile run and then got dressed to head to my best friend Meag's wedding shower!!

Last year my group of the "Fab Five" girl friends I have had since kindergarten had our first wedding of the group.  E got married and had the 4 of us by her side as bridesmaids.  This year we are repeating the fun by celebrating an equally as wonderful couple within the group, Meag and her fiance Jon!  The wedding is in September and this weekend marked the official start of the festivities!

The shower was held in Rhode Island and it was so incredibly beautiful!  I loved being a part of it, including making a slideshow of pictures of Meaggie throughout the years with various video and photos I have stocked up.

Having friends since kindergarten means that your moms are friends too and everyone gets invited to weddings!  It was great to see everyone and I wish we had more time to actually socialize and catch up at the shower.  It went by too fast, but was still a wonderful time.  I felt incredibly blessed to have this group of girls and was sort of amazed to sit and think about the fact that the five of us live in completely different cities -- Chicago, Boston, New York City, Washington D.C., and Atlanta -- yet we all made the effort to be there to celebrate.  It was such a fun and special day to spend with the girls.  Last year at Erin's shower, KO and Meaggie both couldn't be there, so it was really fun to have us all there.  Plus, we also had another engagement in the group recently so we had even more reason to celebrate!!

It was not too long after the wedding shower that I boarded a plane to come back to Atlanta.  It's funny, I got back on Sunday evening, got ready for gym in the AM and then work and was at my desk in the office by 7:30 a.m. after working a full day on Friday as well.  It felt like the weekend had barely even passed.  It is amazing how air travel can make weekends like that possible.  It was a lot of travel and it is also very expensive, but it is great to be able to not have too much disruption in my regular life here in Atlanta but still be able to fit in wonderful family and friends filled weekends such as this one!

I went to spin this morning and then worked a full day, came home, binge ate some Dove Chocolates after dinner, brushed my teeth so that I would stop eating, and am now here writing for you!  Hope you all have a great week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment