Monday, October 12, 2009

Goodbye Gourmet

Last week Conde Nast announced that they would be closing Gourmet magazine, which has been a staple for foodies since 1941. I must say, I think that Gourmet is before my generation. I occasionally buy Cooking Light magazine, which I really enjoy and I occasionally buy the Food Network magazine, which I also enjoy. However, I am completely not surprised that something like Gourmet doesn't have sticking power any more. Just by the name of it, Gourmet doesn't seem like something I would want to buy. I just looked up the definition of "gourmet" on www.dictionary.com. It says...
–noun
1.a connoisseur of fine food and drink; epicure.
–adjective
2.of or characteristic of a gourmet, esp. in involving or purporting to involve high-quality or exotic ingredients and skilled preparation: gourmet meals; gourmet cooking.
3.elaborately equipped for the preparation of fancy, specialized, or exotic meals: a gourmet kitchen.

Read that definition. Now, read it again. I don't have a desire to be a gourmet chef. If I want something gourmet, I'll go to a restaurant. In my opinion (which is why you're reading this blog), this is exactly how people of my generation DO NOT want to cook. I don't have the time or energy to seek out exotic ingredients. I do not have the supplies or ambition to master "skilled preparation". And I don't really care if my food would be described as "fancy".
I want to eat something simple, with easily acquired and affordable ingredients, that is DELICIOUS. And if it comes off as fancy, all the better, but that isn't my main goal.
USA Today just posted an article that confirms my opinion and explains how the internet, television cooking shows, and social networking has changed the world of food. I really enjoyed this article because it validated me starting this blog. Vain? Maybe. But listen up readers, so far, my opinions are right on :)
And, Gourmet, see you later. You may be missed, but not by me.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you blogging again- and about one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete