Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The great storm of the day.

Have you guys ever had one of those days at work where every it seems like every single thing you are working on just falls apart?  Ugh, it was not a good day and I left work feeling pretty crummy.  And once I got home the news started going crazy saying that there was an extreme weather warning in effect.  Severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings coming right at me!

This is pretty much my worst nightmare kind of day.

Well, I don't want to speak too soon but I think I made it through the storms alive.  The news was saying people should be taking shelter in their basement and stay away from windows.  The storm didn't end up being that bad at all.  Really nothing worse than your usual summer thunderstorm, but being a scaredy cat like I am, I may have hidden down in my basement for just a little bit. [Mind you... my basement is unfinished, smelly and dirty, full of spiderwebs, and scary as it is.  So going down there means I was really scared upstairs!]

My upstairs neighbor probably thinks I am a big dork because it was barely even windy out and still sunny and I texted him saying "Tornado warning!!" and letting him know he and his daughter could come take shelter in the basement if they wanted.  He wrote back and was like, "Huh? What?  I'm at the laundromat.  Are you okay?"  He didn't even know what was going on or that there was supposed to be a bad storm.  Woops.  Clearly I'm a potential hero alarmist. 

Years ago there was a bad storm when I was driving back from my annual family summer vacation in New Hampshire.  Before I get to the storm, I have to tell a little bit about the vacation and about my family.  It, and we, revolve around candy and junk food and eating.  We eat at the same restaurants.  Our days are planned around when we're going to go to the candy store.  And one year the unspeakable happened and the local fudge shop didn't have my mom's favorite flavor -- so now we call ahead the week before to make sure that our favorite sugar filled sweets will be available when we're in town.

The day before we go home from vacation, we make a trip to all our favorite places and we stock up.  The candy and crap needs to last us a while and there are some favorites that we can only get in that area!

So back to the storm... I'm driving back home through an intense thunder storm.  With a massive pile of candy in the passenger seat next to me.  I was so scared and so uneasy about the storm that I started to eat.  And then when the storm got worse, I started to get more and more scared.  I was already eating the candy next to me and I just kept on going, with the thought, "If I'm going to die in this storm, this candy cannot go to waste!"

Well, needless to say, I made it home.  I remember opening the door to my car and candy wrappers falling out.  I remember myself tumbling out after, in a whacked out, over-adrenalined, sugar high.  I ate a year's worth of candy during that drive and that storm.

I'm happy to report today was day 2 of sticking to Weight Watchers points, despite the storm and the crappy day had here in Albany :)

No comments:

Post a Comment