Sunday, May 8, 2016

Workout Recap: 2 Weeks Out from Half Ironman Chattanooga

Well, my workout summary is pretty easy for me to write this week because it was a rather light week! Traveling around the world and back in 6 days has its cons, especially when training for a race. You lose quite a bit of time due to travel, your body is stuck in the same position for 40 hours, the plane dehydrates you, and your body is just in sheer confusion of what the heck time of day it is and whether or not you should be awake or asleep. Plus, airplane food isn't exactly the most nourishing and doesn't provide the best options. But alas, it is what it is. I had a great trip and it was a wonderful opportunity personally and professionally. And I'm in taper mode, right??

Here is my workouts for the past week:

Monday, May 2: Travel day

My flight was at Noon so technically I could have done a morning workout but was exhausted from the weekend and gave myself the morning off. Maybe not what the professional triathletes would have done, but I guess that's the difference between them and me.

Tuesday, May 3: Literally traveled the entire day

My flight landed at about 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday night. 20 hours of travel + loss of 12 hours. I didn't arrive at my hotel until 12:30 a.m. technically Wednesday morning, so it was literally a complete loss of the day. I had a 10 minute sprint through the Tokyo airport in there and a few strolls through the aisle of the plane for the only movement.

Wednesday, May 4: 5K Run in 28:30

I did a quick 5K run on the treadmill Wednesday evening before heading to a dinner for work and I did not like it whatsoever. My body didn't feel good and the gym was hot and steamy. Even though it was air conditioned, it was still pretty gross in there. The gym overlooked the pool and as you can see, the whole room was fogged up and stuffy in there. It was a decent start to the week and I was proud of myself for making the time to work out. We had a busy day and were supposed to go right to dinner, but I made this a priority and got in a short run. Without Monday and Tuesday to work out, I knew I needed it on Wednesday!



Thursday, May 5: 6K Run at 10:00 minute/miles

This morning I head to the stuffy steamy gym with the goal of running a 10K, but stopped running after 6K. I felt exhausted and achey and out of breathe so I just called it quits. I gave myself the mental excuses that I was still jet lagged, that it is humid, that I was sick, etc. but in reality, I am pretty sure I just gave up on the run. I was not feeling too good with myself this morning.



Friday, May 6: 40 minute swim

I planned ahead and brought my swimsuit, cap and goggles to Singapore with the thought that there could be a pool to swim in. When I was outside of Georgia the week before, we stayed right on a lake and it would have been an awesome opportunity to do an open water swim, but I didn't bring my stuff. So bringing my stuff it was!

Around 6:15 a.m. I went out to swim. The pool was NOT a lap pool and didn't have a line on the bottom of the pool to follow and I have no idea how long the pool was. So I just swam back and forth for 40 minutes, doing mostly laps and then some kicks and pulls. It was fun to see the sun rise as I swam.  It was dark when I started.


And then light when I finished!



It probably wasn't the best of workouts, but awesome to swim laps outside and being in water made me feel a lot better than running in that stuffy gym as a way to start the day.

Saturday, May 7: Travel day

My flight on Saturday morning was at 5:45 a.m. so I was up at 3:00 a.m. to get to the airport. Even though it took me about 20 hours travel time yet again, the time zones worked in my favor and I returned to Atlanta around 4:30 p.m. However, I was so exhausted, it took all my mental energy to just keep myself awake until 8:30 p.m. when I deemed it acceptable to go to bed.

Sunday, May 8: 31 mile bike ride in 2:09:43 at 14.38 mph

I slept 12 hours the night before guys. It was glorious and I could have slept more but I told myself 12 hours was enough. I got up and went out to Cartersville to ride the 31 mile loop that I had ridden twice the week before. I originally was thinking I wanted to ride 40 miles and it seemed overwhelming and I was considering skipping it, but when I told myself to just do 31, it felt a lot better.

So I rode 31, it was hot and sunny and the wind felt rough. I hurt doing the ride and I didn't feel good. My butt hurt and my body ached and I felt like I was crawling for basically the entire ride.  I did the first half of the ride at 15 mph but slowed down the second half. I practiced my nutrition and just did what I needed to do to get the ride done.


I forgot my sneakers so there was no brick workout, just a return home to food prep for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment