Monday, January 27, 2014

Ditching the scale

Hey guys, happy Monday!  So, I am happy to report that I sort of feel like I am getting my exercise groove back.  I don't want to speak too soon, but I feel positive about my runs this week -- perhaps it's the knowledge that I am going to go down mileage to only 10 miles for my long run next weekend.  Or that I will get to do my long run in a new city, exploring.  Perhaps getting to run outside for 3 whole runs in a row started to clear my mind a bit.  However, I am feeling *okay* right now.

I don't have a heck of a lot to report today besides that we did a 3 mile run outside today and we had to run again in our Yak Trax and on packed snow.  I said to Jess today that if I never had to run on packed snow again in my life, I would be okay with it.  It makes my legs feel so tired, it is almost as if I am learning how to run all over again and building up the strength in my legs.  However, I will keep at it and just pray for the days of no more snow!! It will make me all the better runner in normal weather and conditions, right?  Tonight I went back to the Nia class, which I am toooootally loving and tomorrow I am going to go to a spin class, which I love and miss in my life.  So that makes me feel pretty good as well.

I'm also happy to say that it is now over a week that I have been tracking my Weight Watchers points and doing well managing my diet.  I am really proud and I am also proud of myself that I've been doing this without the motivation of a number on a scale.  I really want to celebrate with non-scale victories and I am looking forward to trying on my goal pants in a week or so and seeing if I notice any progress.  I've been a slave to the scale for a few years now with Weight Watchers.  When I was in the thick of losing weight on the program, I could be having a really good week and feeling positive and get on the scale and feel crushed because I gained .8 lbs.  Or, sometimes have a crappy eating week and feel elated because I somehow cheated the system and the scale magically said I lost.  My emotions were all around what that number was.

Those celebrations felt great and those defeats felt devastating.  The two emotions kept me motivated and kept me moving forward and helped me make incredible progress of losing ~60 lbs.  I don't think I could have done it without that motivation of seeing the numbers change because it was tangible evidence and a goal to drive me forward.  However, a year or so ago I reached that "goal" and then the numbers started to not move so much and then slide a bit backwards.... and I was re-gaining and re-losing the same weight, the change in the numbers on the scale at some point stopped meaning so much to me.  Maybe it was because it felt cheap to celebrate losing weight that I technically already had lost and the numbers I was reaching was somewhere I had already been.  And passed, and then was back at again.  Either way, as much as I tried, I couldn't get the numbers on the scale to motivate me.  I kept trying and it wasn't working.

Well, since I've found running over the past year, I've felt a little less dependent on the scale.  It still sits in my bathroom and it has been collecting dust for a while.  I don't think I have weighed myself since before the Christmas holidays.  Recently, I decided that I would weigh myself once a month on the first of each month.  However, I'm not even convinced I want to do that.  I would love to try and celebrate non-scale victories in 2014 and use that as a motivating factor rather than some number on a scale!

Anyways, that's a little where my mind is at right now.  Today at work I was doing an interviewer training class and we talked a lot about "behavioral interview" questions.  I had one of those "you know you are a runner..." moments when pretty much every question I read and thought about what my own answer would be, a running story popped into my mind.  I had to remind myself that the questions should really supposed to be answered about work related things.  However, what do you guys think of when you hear the following questions?

  • Tell me about your proudest achievement?
  • Describe a time when you were disappointed in your performance.
  • Tell me about a situation that you were in that seemed overwhelming at first.
  • Was there ever a time that you doubted whether or not you could complete a project you started?
  • Walk me through a time when you encountered an obstacle in the middle of a project.
  • Tell me about a time when you took a risk
I don't know, I just kept thinking about running and can relate a running story to each one, which sort of cracked me up.  If I for some reason needed to interview for a job any time soon, that could be a problem if it is all I can think of!!  I guess it just goes to show you that running can really teach you skills that permeate through all areas of life.

And with that, I'm headed to bed!  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment