Thursday, January 30, 2014

Smoothies & selfies

First off, thank you all so much!  Lately, I've really felt the love coming from the people (whoever you are!) who read this blog.  I write this not really assuming that much of anyone is reading.  If I reach or influence one person it really makes me happy.  The past couple of weeks I've been really feeling energized by the responses I've gotten from my friends and family I see and talk to every day, and from people I haven't seen in years who have reached out.   I'm not sure why the big shift lately, but I really wanted to say that I do appreciate anyone who takes the time out of their day to come here and read this.

Today I feel like writing in bullet points just a few random things, in no particular order.  There isn't a heck of a lot to talk about today so I figured I'd just share a few random things that didn't really fit in anywhere else.

- The other day I was a few minutes late for work because I drove almost to the highway then had a feeling that I had left a candle burning in my apartment.  I had gotten up early that day to do some work from home in the AM and sometimes when I am sitting on my couch I light a candle on my coffee table.  I turned around and drove back home to come inside and blow out the candle and when I got here and came inside, I realized it was not burning because I had never even lit it that morning.  Awesome.

- I have gotten pretty good over the years of picking out flavors that go well together with my cooking.  I can often just toss some stuff together I think will taste good and not try it until the very end and be really happy with how something turns out.  However, sometimes you're just off.  And even now when I am looking back at this, I don't know what I was thinking with this combination but the other day I sauteed some onions, added some sweet potatoes I had roasted into the pan, some quinoa, lime juice, chicken broth, cooked it up, and then added cilantro.  I don't know, I thought the flavors would go well together for some reason but it just did NOT work whatsoever.  It was not good.

- I tried on my "goal pants" this morning and they still do not fit (duh...)

- I ordered my new glasses this week!!  I cannot wait to get them in so I can stop balancing my broken pair on my head like I am Mr. Peanut.

- Tonight I made my first protein smoothie!  I have seen people in internet world do this forever and have always wanted to join in on the fun.  Ice cream is pretty much my favorite thing in the world and smoothies & milkshakes are a close cousin to ice cream.  I'm not going to lie, when I see people having "Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothies" and stuff like that, it just sounds so amazing but it has always scared me a little.  Tonight I decided to just go for it.  I put some vanilla protein powder, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, banana and frozen strawberries into the blender and voila.  It was delicious!




- I've seen a couple people post about this and it really hit home for me.  Every January people at the gym start complaining about all the "New Year's Resolution-ers" who show up new to the gym and take up the machines or space in classes, etc.  People complain and say they can't wait for the resolution-ers to give up and give them their gym back.  Although I am not a crazy gym person, I will admit, it can be annoying when a class you go to regularly is full or the cardio machines are all taken when you show up to the gym at the same time and day you always do.  However, you should never root against the New Years people but rather help encourage them.  They're trying, and just starting a workout routine can be scary.  Everyone started at some point, so rather than get exasperated, smile and be encouraging!  A few friends just joined the gym at work and another friend asked me about doing a half marathon in the fall.  I'm so excited about both!!

- I took a selfie when I got to the gym today before I took my coat off.  Heels are so flattering.  I wish I liked wearing them more.  Every morning when I get dressed in an outfit with heels I'm like, "Wow I look thin!  Why don't I wear heels anymore?!?" and then by the end of the day when my legs are tired just from walking back and forth to the bathroom a few times throughout the day, I remember why.


- I took another selfie after I changed into my gym clothes.  I would love to get rid of that belly pooch.


Anyways, that's about all for now.  Hope you have a great day tomorrow!  I might be sparse throughout the weekend, so if you don't hear from me, rest assured I will spending part of my weekend cheering my face off during what will surely be an awesome sports match up.  The Super Bowl?  Nope.  Syracuse vs. Duke on Saturday night!!  Syracuse is 20-0 and trying to keep the streak alive.  Let's go Orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment