Saturday, March 30, 2013

10 mile run in Rhode Island - no walking!


So today I set a number of new accomplishments for myself and also learned some things I need to work on in the future.  I officially ran the furthest that I have ever run ever before.  Today I did 10 MILES running outside today with zero walk breaks.  The furthest I had previously run without walking was when I did 8 miles on the treadmill.  The furthest I had previously run OUTSIDE without walking was a 10K (about 6 miles.)  So this 10 mile run was really an accomplishment.  And man, did it take a lot out of me!

I am currently home in Rhode Island for Easter weekend and was lucky enough to have my mom with me for the first 4 miles of the run.  The last 6 miles I was on my own.  The last few miles were TOUGH and it really took a lot of mental coaching to keep myself going.  And physically, it took more out of me than I expected.  I felt really good after doing 8 miles on the treadmill and after my 9 mile run (with walks) last weekend.  However, today I spent a majority of the afternoon just laying on the couch and the floor.  I felt like complete crap and was/am so exhausted!

My recovery from this run was pretty bad and it made me realize that I need to take better care of myself to fuel my body.  I don't think I drank or ate soon enough after my run and ended up feeling really nauseous for the rest of the day.

But once I did get my appetite back... well... I ate.  A lot more Weight Watchers Points Plus than I care to admit.  The main course was this delicious dinner my mom and I had.

I don't know how to make this the correct orientation... it is correct on my computer!
The follow up was a couple small bowls of ice cream topped with some sprinkles my mom had.  I was definitely craving that ice cream (it finally kicked in from last week.)  And oh, one thing I've realized... Sprinkles = trigger food for me.  I just can't seem to leave them be!



Snacks throughout the day included... some Chex cereal, chicken nuggets, Easter cookies, and I did manage to sneak in a bag of cut up vegetables.

I don't know what's wrong with me because even though I know I'm counting points and can't do whatever I want, I somehow feel that running 10 miles lets me binge eat.

I did fine today, but I am a little scared for the rest of the week because we haven't even come to the main event of the weekend yet -- Easter Sunday!  Which includes my grandmother's infamous once-a-year stuffed artichokes and endless other goodies.  Following that I'll be heading to a work conference, that almost always usually leads to me overeating.

The next few days will certainly be a challenge!  But for today... I am proud of my 10 mile run and thankful to my mom for her support through it (and through taking care of my cranky butt the rest of the day)!!

AND ALSO... proud of my Syracuse Orange!!  We're on to the Final Four, baby!!!!  Today we beat Marquette in the Elite 8 round of March Madness and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next game next week!  It was so fun to see status updates with Syracuse pride sweep across my news feed on Facebook, receive text messages, and be associated with such an exciting accomplishment.  Congrats boys!


No comments:

Post a Comment