Saturday, March 16, 2013

Wednesday

For the past couple of years, Wednesdays have been more to me than just "hump day."  Since I started Weight Watchers in 2011, Wednesdays have always been my weigh in day.  Anyways, I guess I'm writing this because I want to publicly "confess" that the past two weeks even though I've gone to the meetings on Wednesdays, I have not weighed in.  I miss weighing in but I'm just not ready to yet.  I will get there though.

At today's meeting, our "leader" of the group brought up a discussion topic that got me thinking and I wanted to write about it a little.  We talked about is what motivates us to do what we do.  What motivates us to try and be healthy, exercise, etc. AND on top of that, we talked about the fact that sometimes what motivates us can change.

I realized that there has been in big shift in what motivates me over the past couple of years. As I wrote yesterday, I skipped the gym Monday and wasn't really in the mood to go on Tuesday.  But you know what ended up motivating me to go?  Well, let me first tell you what it wasn't.  I wasn't motivated by the fact that exercising would help me lose more weight that week.  I wasn't motivated by the fact that I would earn the ability to maybe have a bigger meal at dinner or indulge more in dessert.  And I wasn't motivated by the thought that maybe I would fit into a smaller pants size by getting that run in.

I went to the gym on Tuesday because I knew that if I skipped that run, it would impact my training for the half marathon I am doing.  I went to the gym to help me get closer to achieving goals that I've set out for myself.  Goals that have nothing to do with my physical appearance or eating.  And it may not seem like it to others, but that is a HUGE change in my attitude.  It made me smile inside to recognize the ways that exercise and diet have impacted my life, aside from the physical things.  It's weird, because I always thought of people who exercised regularly as "those people."  Crazy weirdos who would rather be running than eating ice cream on the couch.  People I couldn't relate to and had nothing in common with.  "Ugh. Those people."

I mean, I don't want to go off the deep end here, but I think I might slowly becoming one of "those people."  It's so weird! 

Another sign I'm becoming one of "those people".... today at the gym I did 4 miles on the treadmill and my knees started to bother me a bit during the run.  At first I thought, "Uh oh... this is not good... I don't want to get injured." But then I realized that I recognized that type of discomfort and then I did a quick little calculation in my head and realized, yup, it's time for a new pair of running sneakers.

So, not only am I the type of person who wears out running shoes.  BUT I also run enough and have worn out enough sneakers that I know and can recognize what that feels like!  Who am I!?!

Well, to ground everyone a little bit... one thing that hasn't changed is that I am still the type of girl that finishes her dessert.  Today for dinner I had some chicken sausage that I just cut up and cooked on the stove, the rest of my leftover roasted sweet potatoes, and some broccoli that I steamed on Monday night.  The dinner was good, but I was a little annoyed because the package of chicken sausage I bought -- Al Fresco Roasted Pepper and Asiago, came in at 4 PointsPlus a link rather than 3, like every other flavor I have tried has.  I looked on the website and realized that because all the other flavors have 7 grams of fat and this one has 8, that one extra gram of fat tips it over from 3 PP to 4PP.  Grrrr... 


Before dinner I knew I was craving something sweet and had stopped at the grocery to buy myself what I wanted for dessert, I decided to have one link of chicken sausage rather than my usual of 2.  I had bought some Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding that I was excited about.  The Jello pudding cups are 2 PointsPlus and I'd been craving one.  But guys, guess what, it ended up being so much better than just eating a Jello pudding cup.

Because I ate one link rather than two, I was worried I might not be full enough so I decided to have an apple with dessert and dip it in the pudding.  And if that doesn't sound yummy enough, I took about a teaspoon of the Sugar Free Salted Caramel syrup I bought and mixed it up with the chocolate pudding and then dipped a cut up apple in it.  And oh man, it was SO good!!  I can't wait to have this for dessert every day for the rest of my life forever and ever and ever.



And if there was any doubt that I was becoming one of "those people."  Rest assured my friends, I still have some of the old me left inside.  No, this is not a picture of a clean bowl.  This is the bowl my apple and pudding was in. I literally licked it clean, dessert was that good :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment