Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A post of random pictures...

So, there are all sorts of random things I want to take about/share today but I figure I will best do them through a series of photos that I've been taking on my iPhone.  I haven't been talking much about what I've been eating on a daily basis, which I did a lot of last week.  I personally think that's fine but I had a few good eats over the past few days that I wanted to share with you.  So, here it goes.  A random Wednesday picture post...

First off, this weather.  Can we get a break, please??  I snapped this at a red light coming home from the gym on Tuesday night.  It really doesn't do it justice because the snow was literally coming down in blankets.  When I left to go to the gym, the snow had stopped, which was what I thought made venturing out okay.  But 3 miles on the treadmill and a hot yoga class later (yes, I tried another one!), this is what I had waiting for me...


This is how I feel about the snow:


Enough already!!!  I am ready to start running outside.  I've got some big runs coming up... like the 9 miles I am supposed to do this weekend and I do not want to have to do it on the treadmill!  Every snowflake that fell I just kept thinking about how long it would take to melt and how much I wanted to be running outside.

Speaking of running though, my feet are getting torn apart.  I hope this isn't gross, but I'm hoping that some runners may have experienced this and could help?  I just am getting blistered and sore and weird pains in my feet.  I have never had one of these before but I think I have a bunion or a corn or something like that on my toes, which makes running, and even walking really painful.  Ugh.  I don't know what to do about it.  I did know I needed new sneaks and went out today to buy some.  Check out these bad boys...


I bought the green laces special because I thought they made them kind of fun.  However, I'm totally disappointed because I literally bought these tonight and then went right to the gym to run 5 miles.  I now have NEW blisters on my feet and I sort of felt like I was having a problem that I had a couple years ago when my feet would go numb when I ran.  I am not sure if the blisters/feelings were just because the sneakers weren't broken in?  I don't know.  But I am going to be going back to Fleet Feet in Albany tomorrow to see what the deal is because blisters are not cool. Until then, I guess these things will continue to be my best friend:


They seriously are magic for blisters.  And by the way, like my orange nails?  Go Syracuse!! We play tomorrow for the March Madness tournament and I can't wait!

Anyways, to continue with the randomness, some of what I've been eating lately has been pretty yummy.  I told you before about the edamame packets I've been having as snacks at work but wanted to share a picture so you can see the label/serving size.  It is pretty decent amount and it is only 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus!


I also indulged a little this week for one of my worktime snacks.  But what can I say?  Sometimes it's just a milk and cookies kind of day!


Then for a dinner this week I tried a new frozen meal from Trader Joe's.  It was 9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and it was delicious!!  I love Indian food and often over indulge... the naan, the rice, the sauces, etc.... man, they are just so good.  This meal really did the trick to satisfy a craving for one of my favorite Indian food dishes and was really filling and fast (duh, it's a frozen meal.)  One thing that I did with this that I totally recommend is to have some sort of a vegetable on the side.  The dish comes with a LOT of sauce.  I realized that once I finished the rice and cheese portion of this, I had a ton of the sauce left so I heated up some steamed broccoli I had in the fridge and used the leftover sauce on the broccoli.  I think it would have been even better if I had made some spinach ahead of time and mixed it in at the beginning of the meal.  I may have bought a few more of these meals so that I can try that next time around :)

I love taking frozen meals or packaged foods and "doctoring" them up to make them a little more special (aka my sugar free salted caramel chocolate pudding... yum!)  Oh and by the way, I don't know how to make this picture not sideways.


My dinner tonight did require a little more work on my part though.  Luckily, most of the prep work I had done earlier in the week so I was ready when I walked in the door from the gym to make a quick 10 minute meal and sit down and eat.

I wanted to use up more of that chicken sausage I'd gotten last week so I have two links of the chicken sausage prepared different ways... I started by chopping up the chicken sausage and just browning it on the stove.  Then, half of it I mixed with some spaghetti squash I had roasted yesterday and a spoonful of pesto.  The other half of the chicken sausage I topped with some Shirazi Salad that I made yesterday as well.  Shirazi Salad is really just a simple salad of cucumber, tomato, red onion, and lime juice.  Well, that's all I put in it anyways, but there are different variations out on the Internet.  It is a Persian dish I learned from my old roommate and it is delicious.  In fact, it's actually made an appearance on the blog before!


To make the salad, you just toss everything up and add it all together.  But you don't use regular cucumbers, you use the little mini baby cucumbers that are often in stores labeled as "Persian Cucumbers."  They are on sale this week at Trader Joe's if anyone is interested in trying this out!


If you are interested in trying it, it's a perfect week to do it because today is actually Persian New Year!!!  Happy Nowruz to all of my Persian friends out there :)  I had the pleasure of learning about and celebrating this holiday a couple years ago with my roommate and there is so much delicious food, fun tradition, and familial celebration with this holiday.  I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to learn about it and also add some yummy recipes to my arsenal!

So, I think that's all I've got for you today!  I've got some additional posts/things I want to write about over the next few days but I'm not sure if I will get to it tomorrow.  I want to tell you about the Red Rooster restaurant in Harlem I ate at and also share with you a little Q&A of random questions I've gotten from my friends over the past couple days about food and exercise.

Before I go -- a big GO ORANGE to Syracuse in tomorrow night's game!  It doesn't start until 10:00 p.m. tomorrow so it'll be a late night for me but I'm always happy to cheer on the Orangemen!

P.S. I still was too scared to weigh in at Weight Watchers today, even though I'm still going to the meetings.  I think maybe next week I'll be ready?  I hope :)

No comments:

Post a Comment