Monday, March 18, 2013

Reflecting on past St. Patty's days & a very happy birthday message!


So another St. Patrick’s Day has come and gone.  I had a great time in New York City this past weekend -- which I'll recap for you soon.  But there's something else I wanted to write about today... there is just something about funny holidays like this one that makes me reflect a lot on the years past.  I don’t get like that so much around more traditional holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Easter, because like many people, I do the same thing with my family every year.  But times like St. Patrick’s or July 4th, or birthdays!, I tend to sit back and think, “What did I do last year for this holiday?  The year before?  Five years ago?”  Because the days are memorable and because they generally involve friends and fun, it’s easy to remember and interesting to recall where I was, what I did, who I was with, and what was important in my life at that time.  Parties, parades, and friends... I've had some really fun times over the past few years.

Six years ago on St. Patrick’s Day 2007, I celebrated in Venice, Italy with a group of amazing friends I'd only known for a few months at the time.  We’d just spent a week in Corfu, Greece for spring break while studying abroad in Florence.  We put on whatever green clothing we had, and went out for one more night of partying.  Now, I can’t say that Venice was really the most happening place to party in general.  Or that they had any sort of interest in St. Patrick’s Day, but it was a blast.  March 18th was also one of my best friend’s 21st birthday.  Which, despite being in a country where we could legally drink before that milestone, was still a reason to celebrate.  We had so much fun that night in Venice, and have so many silly memories and laughs from that St. Patrick’s Day, the week leading up to it, and pretty much every day of my entire study abroad experience.

Lauren's 21st birthday in Venice, Italy
 It’s crazy to think that was six years ago that we were celebrating in Florence.  What is even crazier is that my friend, whose 21st birthday we were celebrating that night, is right now days away from what will be a life-changing event, as she is 9 months pregnant!!  Now, when we get together, it’s not to roam the wind roads of Venice, but to organize baby stuff, and help get her apartment ready for the new arrival.

Exploring Italy
A visit to Albany!
I am so excited for Lauren and her new adventures ahead of her.  It’s crazy how time goes by.  In the words of John Mayer (and my high school senior quote in the yearbook) “Isn’t it a shame, times of changed.  But isn’t it strange, lifelines stay the same.”  Some days I would give anything to be back living in Florence, almost carefree, exploring Europe.  However, I love where I am now in life and the exciting things that come with getting older.  One of my best friends is going to officially be a mom soon.  I see how happy she is and it makes me happy.  Lauren is one of the bravest, most caring, fun, and happiest people I have ever met in my life.  I feel lucky to know her and can’t wait to meet what will certainly be one of the cutest and by far, most loved, babies in the world!  Congrats Lauren and Sean and happy birthday to my girl crush!

Happy Birthday Future Mama!!

P.S.  Lauren’s sisters threw her the CUTEST shower that I attended a few weeks ago.  Check out these pictures!!  Every detail was amazing and the day was a complete blast.






No comments:

Post a Comment