Tuesday, March 19, 2013

NYC Half Marathon: A recap in being a cheerleader!

So this past weekend I went to New York City for the night with my friend Dani and had an amazing time!  I decided to go and cheer Dani on in the NYC Half Marathon that she was running. Dani and I began training at around the same time and she has been a great support to me as I have gone about my first half marathon.  She brought me to the hot yoga class a couple weeks ago and we've been swapping running plans.  This was her second half marathon, and the professional fan in me couldn't resist the trip to go cheer her on.  She had me totally hooked when she suggested we try a restaurant I've been wanting to eat at in Harlem, the Red Rooster.

Immediately when we got to the city we went to the Half Marathon race expo to check Dani in and pick up her race packet.  I knew right away that it was going to be a good weekend because the race expo was just so damn inspiring!  The walls were filled with little panels that runners could fill out with the reasons why they run.  Dani and I both filled one out and added it to the collection.


I put up "to challenge myself" and Dani added "because it is a happiness spiral."  Something about adding our messages to the big wall makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger -- a community of people from different backgrounds, which different reasons for participating, who are all out to achieve the same goal.  It was then that I started to get really excited to soon join the group of people who are "half marathon-ers."


Some of the posts really made me tear up.  Like these two:


And some just made me smile, because I totally am in the same boat :)


The expo was really fun that definitely I think set the right mode for Dani and I getting ready for the rest of the weekend: silly, fun, and inspiring!

Official pre-race photo :)
We spent the rest of the afternoon grabbing some food and a drink (hey it was St. Patrick's Day weekend!) and checking in to the hotel that Dani had booked.  We ate dinner at the Red Rooster, which was AMAZING (more to come on that later) before an early bedtime for Dani since the race had an early start time of 7:30 a.m.  Before we went out to dinner I shared with Daniella the little surprise I had for her.  I'd spent the night before coloring and had made a special sign to use to cheer her on.  Woohoo!!  Keep it up Dani :)


I have to say that I was so impressed with Daniella's attitude going into the race.  I know that I am going to be a complete spaz the night before my half marathon but she was so easy going.  Her goal for the race was just to have fun and complete the half marathon.  Her attitude really impressed me and made me think I sometimes put too much pressure on myself and the things I set out to do.  She was so positive the whole time!

The next morning Dani set off early to get ready for the run and I followed a little bit later, using the race's iPhone app to track where she was.  My friend Kristen met up with me to take part in the inspirational marathon viewing experience... seriously, two thumbs up to her for joining me on the early, early morning!  Kristen and I were ready and waiting at the 7 mile mark to be able to cheer Daniella on!  I was so nervous that I'd miss her but it was AWESOME to get to actually see her running by.  And we actually did a quick clothing drop off to get rid of some of her extra layers.  Then she was off again!


Then comes the part where I didn't plan the timing right and tried to get to the mile 11 mark, but missed her.  Then tried to get to the finish line, but apparently missed here there.  However, it was so inspiring to see all of the runners finishing.  Especially the people holding hands at the finish line, running with their kids, crying, etc.  It reminded me of that amazing feeling of accomplishment you get when completing a race.  Something that I am SO looking forward to feeling next month!!!

Here are a few more pictures of the race, and of our post-race celebrations.  But I just want to say a huge congratulations to Daniella for letting me be a part of her NYC Half Marathon experience.  She seriously, KILLED it, PRing by a ton and honestly, I think blowing past the expectations she set for herself.  I'm so proud of her and it was such a fun experience to cheer her on!  And thank you to Kristen for joining in the day!!

I don't know why I am awkwardly squatting here...
Again, the squat...
The finish shoot!
Post race mimosa!
At the time of this post we're 38 days until my race in Nashville!  I've got some tough, long runs coming up, and if the snow keeps falling, I will not be able to run outside for a while.  So I'm going to need all the inspiration I can get, but I am so looking forward to joining Daniella in the half marathoners club!!




No comments:

Post a Comment